Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Following a different path

I saw this cartoon from Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) a few months ago. A Facebook friend shared it again this week.It is about following creating a life that reflects your values. You can find the original at http://m.imgur.com/r/pics/66DxiHX.


As I re-read this, I reflected back on my life and how it has or has not reflected my values. When I chose to stay home with my daughter after her birth, because I think being there if very important if you choose motherhood, my father was very critical of my choice. He actually said, "You have too much to contribute. Anyone can take care of your child for you." I completely disagreed with that and found a way to stay home until she was 3. I then succumbed to pressure and went back to work full time. I looked hard and found someone doing the things with her child that I tried to do with mine (although it appeared she was more successful with her consistent efforts than I) and she provided the day care for me.

After a couple of years creating serious burn out, I left the job and home-schooled and was home most of the time. I worked part time at a variety of jobs including my own business, but fit that in around the after-school program my daughter attended.

When divorce removed the option for home-schooling, I re-entered the job market. The first few efforts were insufficient to sustain us, but I finally found a good niche and we had enough. I crept up the corporate ladder, got a graduate degree, and did find some corporate success.  

My life changed again with marriage to the golf pro. He was planning to serve a church mission at the time we married, and I was in a financial position to allow him to do that. For the first 18 months of our marriage, he served a local welfare mission, working at the employment center.

Change occurred again when he returned to full time golf course management for the first time in our marriage in 2010. I found a rewarding part time job that morphed into one that was pretty all consuming. I enjoyed it, but my heart was with helping the pro at his job. He found success by following his passion, and in this world of technology, wanted my help adapting to the changes. Because he is now providing, I can do just that-and figure out what else I really want to do.

Following the advice in the comic is easier if there is a true partnership, with each partner enabling the other to follow his or her dreams. I am lucky to have found that and am grateful for it.

I think the hardest part of this is determining what it is that fills our souls and is our passion. I buried it so deeply that it is taking quite a lot of time to resurrect. I know my values place my commitment to God and family first, so that part isn't hard. The hard part is what fills my soul. I think it has to do with teaching in some way as I find that so very satisfying. It might have to do with writing because that is also very satisfying. Ultimately, I hope this blog helps me uncover these things about me. If it helps someone else realize these things too, that would be fabulous. 


No comments: