Friday, February 7, 2014

When it is time to move on

Change is a constant in almost everyone's life. Some changes we resist; some we initiate. I have decided it is time to initiate a change in my work life. It was a difficult decision in many ways, but I know that it is the right one.

For 4 years, I have provided some assistance to the golf pro. I help with merchandise in the shop, I help with technical issues, I take pictures at tournaments, and I do some social media.

For 3 years, I have worked at CoroWare, Inc. I have served as a business unit manager and the corporate secretary. Both were rewarding and challenging. I started part time, 20 hours per week. Job scope creep got the hours up to 30-35 per week. I've been doing corporate secretary (reports, filings, meeting minutes, working with investors and our stock), marketing, video conferencing, support, web site updates,and social media including a twice weekly video blog. I have a hard time enforcing the lower hour count and saying "no" to things that need to get done. Therefore, I have to say "no" to the job instead.

I am just obsessive enough that I cannot walk away with something only partially done. I need to finish things. If I cannot, I do not want to start them. If they have deadlines, I try to get them done as soon as assigned, not just by the deadline. That gave me freedom in school (where I was the same way) with a lack of pressure when I turned things in. However, there is always something due at a publicly traded company that operates in multiple states. When the stock is active, there is always something to attend to. Therefore, in order to do the things I need to working with the pro, I decided I had to give this job up.

The pro would probably have been happy if I had made this move a year ago. I would not have been though. We were going through a rough patch and I wanted to help right things. Now things are much smoother, so I don't feel guilty about moving on. I pray about these things and feel I got confirmation of this choice. For me, that means I can move on without regrets.

I have worked with a variety of wonderful people in this job. I will miss most of them greatly. Working at a small company often allows one to wear many hats, and I have loved doing that. We're spreading many of my tasks among a variety of people suited to those components. Perhaps in time they will return to a single individual, perhaps not. Most of these were well suited to my strengths, but not necessary for the particular job titles I held. Some of these were things I could do, not well, but regularly (like managing updates on the web site) since I had skills at a novice level.

I will look back kindly on this time at CoroWare. I hope I leave it in better shape from my contributions. I know I have grown and appreciate that development.

Now I look forward to stepping up my efforts assisting the pro. He and his staff are excited about getting more active in social media marketing this year. I think we will have a great deal of fun together. I hope I also get to play more golf with the pro and improve my game. That's not a bad future to envision.

No comments: