Monday, February 10, 2014

Weekend food fun

I found myself with a little time to experiment this weekend and it was so much fun. If I am going to write about these, I should probably take pictures during the process. Maybe next time. All I have today is finished products.

The previous Saturday, we got a plantain with our bountiful basket hostess pack. I had just googled plantain chips, when this came across in my Facebook feed - AIP Plantain Wraps. The pro has been mentioning how pizza was sounding good, so I thought this might fit the bill.
 
I read through the recipe and the other plantain recipe she had for pizza and decided to make a pizza dough out of the plantain. I used her wrap recipe more than the pizza one and it worked well.

1 plantain still slightly green
1/3 water
A couple of tablespoons of olive oil
Salt

I preheated the oven to 375 and peeled and chopped the plantain.
She suggested the blender which I used, but I think next time, I'll use my food processor-I think it will cut the plantain better. I put all the ingredients in the blender and processed until smooth.

I greased my medium sized pizza pan and spread it in the pan evenly.

I baked for 25 minutes.  Then I broke off a little piece and tasted it and it was good!

Next, I chopped up a couple of roma tomatoes and spread them over the crust. I topped those with oregano. I covered it with shredded mozzarella cheese and then pepperoni. For the pro, if it isn't pepperoni, it isn't pizza.

I baked this at 400 for about 20 minutes. It was heavenly and he didn't even know it wasn't dough underneath. We ate two pieced before I got a picture.
 This was perfect for the two of us-enough for dinner and a light snack. We had the snack first (the missing pieces). When I reheated it, I doused it in cheese, more pepperoni, and a final sprinkle of cheese again. I popped it in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes to get it bubbly again.

I also made a fun candy for a valentine's day gift for the pro.



I used the silicone mini-muffin pan my lovely step-daughter got me. They were the perfect size. Next time, I will add some chocolate before the filling so the top gets covered. You can see from the picture that the chocolate did not ooze down to cover the bottom of the muffin.

I toasted some almond slices and some coconut. I placed a pinch of each in the bottom of the muffin (next time, chocolate first). Then I added a few pomegranate seeds. Then I poured in the chocolate. I put the filled muffin pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set. Then we had to test them. The pro says I should sell them. I think that's high praise from him.

For the chocolate, I took an entire bag of chocolate chips and mixed with a couple of spoonfuls of coconut oil. I melted this mix in the microwave until the chocolate was partially melted. Then I stirred them together until completely melted and mixed. I spooned this into the muffin pans.

I used about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips with a small spoonful of coconut for our last treat. I mixed and melted and spooned over the ice cream in the sundaes we had for dinner. Instant magic shell. For the sundaes, we had a sliced banana, a handful of frozen blueberries, a couple of scoops of vanilla and chocolate ice cream, then poured on the hot melted chocolate. I topped that with chopped nuts and coconut. This was actually our evening meal. Yum.


No comments: