Friday, February 28, 2014

Chocolate candy with fruit recipe

Because my father seldom had dessert, I thought you lost your sweet tooth when you grew up. It seemed that occasionally, my mother would have a Hershey's with Almonds, but otherwise, adults didn't like sweets. Boy was I wrong!

Since I will apparently not outgrow the desire for sweets, I am trying to find alternatives that are relatively healthy. Since most of those in the store are loaded with things I cannot even pronounce, that means making treat myself.

I made these candies for Valentine's Day, and again this week by popular request. The are chocolates with pomegranate, coconut and almonds. I wrote about this recipe before on February 10, but here are pictures of what it looked like. I think the proportions were a little different this time, but it still tasted good. It is one of those recipes that you can play arouond with to see what best suits you.
I started by shredding, then toasting some coconut. Store bought would work too, but I have some left from a basket a couple of weeks ago.
 Next, I melted some chocolate chips with a little coconut oil.
 I sprinkled a few pomegranate seeds into the muffin tins.
 I covered the seeds with just a little of the melted chocolate.

Next up was toasting the almonds.

I added pomegranates, almonds, and coconut into the muffin pan on top of the pomegranate and chocolate already in the pan.

 

Finally I melted the rest of the chocolate and coconut oil.
 



 I spooned the melted chocolate into the pan and put in the refrigerator to harden.



Amounts are approximate as I do it by feel.
Recipe:
About 1/2 12oz bag of chocolate chips, divided into scant 1/4 cup and remainder
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
About 2 Tablespoons shredded coconut or to taste
About 2 Tablespoons almond pieces or to taste
About 2 Tablespoons pomegranate
2 Tablespoons coconut oil.

Place a few of the pomegranates into each section of the muffin pan.
Melt the 1/4 c chocolate chips and the 1 Tablespoon of oil in the microwave or over boiling water bath. Stir frequently. When melted, spoon over the pomegranate in the muffin pan just to cover.
Toast the coconut in a frying pan over low-medium heat stirring constantly (or omit if you don't like it toasted). Sprinkle it into the muffin pan sections.
Toast the almond if desired and sprinkle into the muffin pan sections.
Add the pomegranate into the muffin pan sections.
Melt the remaining chocolate and coconut oil. Spoon over the muffin pan sections.
Refrigerate at least an hour.

You can use any combination of fruits, nuts, etc. We like the tart of the pomegranate with the sweet of the chocolate.

2 Tablespoons coconut oil

No comments: