Monday, February 17, 2014

Green or just smart

At church, I am taught that Adam was given stewardship over the earth. A steward is someone who manages something for someone else. We teach that Adam, and therefore his descendants, manages or administers the earth for the Lord. Therefore, we are accountable for how we manage the things of the world that are given to us. A great reminder about how this is not the general attitude of most of us came to me through a Facebook post this past week.

In another one, Cheeseslave shared this picture which I think says it all:

 

For thousands of years, all but the wealthiest of us were 'green.' We recycled, composted, made do, and wasted as little as possible. Now, most of us are the opposite and green is an in attitude making a political statement. "Paper or plastic?" is something we often hear at the store. Neither is terribly friendly to the environment.  A good set of canvas bags is much friendlier. I have used the same 4 canvas grocery bags for over 25 years. I wash them regularly and the only real sign of use is some slight fraying on one of the handles. I am not doing it to be 'green,' but I do it because it just makes sense.

I use the plastic bags from the store in the trash for the bathrooms and when I need to pass on some of my bountiful baskets produce to my friends. Otherwise, I try to minimize collecting them even though they can be recycled. It makes more sense not to use them at all than to have to recycle them.

I put many things in the recycling bin, much fewer in the trash, but I like it even better when most of the waste goes into the compost. I have two compost tumblers going, one that I am adding to, one that is only cooking. I have been composting for years. I try to leave the garden a little better than I found it in each house and have been successful in most. Actually, I try to leave everything in better shape. To me, this just makes sense as a steward, although I know sometimes it is not the wisest financial choice. I update and repair things to better than I found them on my houses, even if it is just before selling.

For years, all but the wealthiest made over clothing, younger children usually wore hand-me-downs, those who were not in the city had a garden, and most people cooked from scratch. We have encouraged a throw away culture and most people don't do any of these things. The green movement focuses on recycling and saving habitat, but I never see reminders to re-use or repair. I see few reminders to make it myself either. Although I do make most of my meals from scratch, I no longer make most of my clothing. However, I do make liberal use of hand-me-downs from my sister. I would never have as many different pairs of black slacks without her. 

I expect that there will be something like an exit interview in the hereafter when I must give an account of my stewardship. I hope to be able to say that I did my best to care for the earth where it was my responsibility and to make things a little better. Since I have posterity coming after me, I want the earth to be better for them than I found it. Carrying bags in my purse, having reusable grocery bags, air drying, using fewer chemicals are all ways I am trying to accomplish this. The Facebook post is a good reminder that to be really green, we are being wise in our use of resources. Green is just a smarter way to live.



 

No comments: