Monday, February 24, 2014

Treats with a surprising ingredient

A week ago in my Bountiful Basket, I got an acorn squash. While I love squash, the pro merely tolerates it. I decided to find some ways he would actually enjoy and found two. I used it as the main ingredient for gluten-free brownies and as the base for chocolate pudding. They were both a hit. I told him of the squash after the fact. He said he would never have guessed. That makes both treats reasonably healthy as well.

Brownies:
1 1/2 cups cooked squash puree
3 eggs
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup nuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips divided

Preheat oven to 350 degreed Fahrenheit
Line a 9x9" baking pan with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the puree, eggs, oil, honey and vanilla extract. Stir in the remaining ingredients keeping back some of the chips to top the brownies with.

Pour the batter into the baking dish. Top with remaining chips.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out clean. Cool in pan for 2 minutes, the lift out using the parchment paper and cool on a rack. 



We used these as a base for brownie sundaes and ate some as is.

Chocolate pudding:
2 cups squash puree
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk or milk substitute
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk all but the vanilla together in a saucepan. I used a 2 /12 quart sized pan. Heat over medium heat until it starts to bubble. For me, that was about 5 minutes. 

Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla. 

Spoon into dessert bowls or whatever you want to serve it in. I used cute tupperware dessert serving bowls I have had for years. It filled all six of them.

Refrigerate until well chilled, at least an hour. Enjoy. We had whipped cream on top of ours.

No comments: