Friday, March 7, 2008

Jane Austen- Austenarium site

I love reading Jane Austen novels. (I like the movies too, but most leave a lot out). She had such insight into character. I recently read a new novel (None but you) that tells the story of Persuasion from Frederick Wentworth's point of view. I loved it and can't wait for volume 2 to be published. Then I discovered the draft for volumes 1 and 2 online at Austenarium. She indicates that the published book may differ from the web draft, but at least I now have a finished story to read. I will buy the new volume once it is available.

This site also tells the Persuasion story with alternatives-what if Frederick had married Louisa? What if he had gone to Edward's first instead of to see his sister.There is also a story focused on Elizabeth-and she becomes much more human in that one than she is in the original. She starts out bad but improves. When I read through all these, I felt as if I had spent a great deal of time with Persuasion and feared I would begin speaking like a Jane Austen character. I preceded all of this be re-reading Persuasion once again. Shortly thereafter, Masterpiece began broadcasting their new productions of Jane Austen videos. Their Persuasion is a adaptation, but it does leave out a lot. However, I will admit that I cannot really get enough of all of these. This sure was a completely different kind of life than the one I live. I think I would have been as unhappy as Anne in Bath of that era, but I don't know that I would have preferred the country. Perhaps with enough good books, I would have enjoyed either.

Happy reading.

2 comments:

Spence said...

Christine has always loved reading any of Jane Austin's books. I've never read one but I really like "Sense and Sensibility" and "Emma". I guess I need to read one. :-)

Susan Kaye said...

Shanna,

Thank you for blogging about my novels and all the other wonderful stories at Austenarium. We are a full-service Persuasion and Alt-Persuasion site, (except those of us who write P&P and Emma stories (-:), catering to those who enjoying seeing people get a second chance at love.

Take care--Susan Kaye
My blog: "I Had to Laugh"