Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Spring Training for the rest of us

The Pro, a friend, and I went to a Spring Training game at Salt River Fields. It was Angels against Diamondbacks and a beautiful spring day. We got a little too much sun, ate things we wouldn't normally, and had a wonderful time. We even got to see an instant replay challenge. We left before the game, which the Angels ultimately won, was over. I probably had too much time to think on the drive down and back, and today's blog is a result of that time.

Most professional sports have a pre-season, exhibition season, or something that helps them prep for the regular season in games that don't count. These are times for them to get back into season shape and hone or refine their skills. When you are in elementary school , that is usually the first week back when you start with an essay about what you did in the summer. After that, though, you generally have to hit the ground in mid-season form.

I think we each deserve time to recharge and refresh during our lives, much like the ball players do. However, we don't usually get an off-season. We are lucky to have two weeks of downtime from our routine, and we don't get time to refine our skills before we charge back in again. I think we should create that in our lives.

Spring will be upon in later this month. Imagine if we created our own spring training regimen for our lives. Spring cleaning used to be just that. It was a way to clear out the soot and dust from winter fires and create a fresh environment for the spring. We could clean out our email inbox (that will never happen in my email-I am a hoarder), our files, our closets and start with a fresh slate, or at least one that is streamlined and matches our current life. We could look over our routines and reset-select new ones that better fit our current life.

Imagine cleaning out our resentments and grudges and replacing them with optimism and hope. Follow that up by training ourselves to move forward rather than dwelling on the past. Focus on what we want from life and what we will give to get there, then practice the skills to make that come to pass. Maybe that means a change in our food habits, exercise habits, our television or Internet usage, whatever we think needs to change.

I have decided to cut out gluten almost entirely from my life. I started limiting it last year and feel much better. I watched "BrainChange with David Perlmutter, MD" on PBS this week and decided the gluten has to go. I will also cut way back on sugars in my diet. Most of it is currently fruit, but I do like sweets, so I am going to limit those. For spring training, I am going to go through the cupboards and find a new home for the gluten-containing products I have in my food storage and pantry. This will be hard but a good challenge for me. If he is correct that this is a way to cut the risk for Alzheimer's, it is a small enough price to pay when there are so many gluten-free alternatives out there today.

The other area I am tacking for spring training is clutter. I tend to keep things if I think I will need them again, which is why my files and inbox are so full. So are storage containers with things used only occasionally-every few years in some cases. Will I really miss them if I give them to someone who will use them regularly? Or will I really miss those emails? In most cases, probably not.

In this area, I have managed to consolidate a lot of storage into one container and donated the rest. I hope someone enjoys those things as much as I once did. The Pro regrets throwing out too much while I don't throw out enough. I am trying to find the happy medium between the two. What I have left will likely actually be used and needed.

I have tackled my office and one guest room as well as the storage area in the attic. There are only a few more pockets left to feel I've accomplished this spring training goal. However, like the annual spring training efforts, I suspect it will require annual renewal to be most effective.



 

No comments: