Friday, March 21, 2014

Flower boxes for the deck

The Pro decided that we needed more color on our main deck. He wanted big flower boxes, but he also wanted artificial flowers so that we would not need to worry about watering them. I have had flowers each year in some boxes but they would die during the heat of the summer. I collected the following flowers and greens and flower boxes designed for deck railings. Unfortunately, our railing isn't designed quite that way, so I am using bungee cords to secure them and have to shim one side to even the base so they sit stable.

 I cut Styrofoam to size
 Separated the green vine into two pieces


 Separated all the flowers




 Then I filled the planter with rocks. We are clearing out a bed in the front of the house so I am using those rocks. Filling four planters, I barely made a dent in the bed.
 I stuck the greens at either end
Then filled in with the flowers
 This is what it looked like completed.
 I put 4 of them out on the deck. As you can see, the chair cushions are still in winter storage.

The Pro loved them. He thinks this is just the color we needed. The two in the bottom picture are visible from the street. The one on the right in the top picture is visible from our driveway. All 4 are visible from the house. The upper picture from the living and dining room, the lower picture from the kitchen.

No comments: