Monday, March 31, 2014

100th Birthday Party

Aunt H married my father's brother P. We celebrated her 100th birthday party on Saturday. Her mother lived to be 104 and she had another relative who made it to 105, so this isn't completely surprising. I am not sure that you would guess she was a hundred when you looked at her.

 Our family attended the celebration together.

We were able to reconnect with our cousins who are her grandchildren.
Mom, Aunt H and Aunt P are the only ones left in their generation. Aunt P will be 100 in July. Mom is a veritable baby in comparison.
 
Aunt H is a wonderful person who has made friends everywhere she went. Her friends from church came, from her service organization, from her neighborhood. In fact, so many more came than expected that they ran out of name tags about half way through the open house.





 The group of family with the birthday girl.
Cousins came from surrounding states although one had to fly in from Nebraska to pay tribute to this wonderful woman. We spent time remembering activities with her and Uncle P. I am particularly grateful to them for taking me to church with them, and for her sister allowing me to sing in the church choir when I was just 10. Without their help and support, I am not sure I would be a singer today.

Family celebrations like this are a wonderful way to remember good times and create wonderful new memories. I am so glad we had this opportunity.

No comments: