Monday, March 24, 2014

Dragon fruit-trying new things

I got my usual basket of lovely produce from Bountiful Baskets on Saturday. Except for the dragon fruit, it was all things I am used to. As I finish up this post, I am drinking a green smoothie with some leftover veggies, dragon fruit, pineapple, and kiwi with the usual liquid and protein powder. This is Saturday's basket.



I got a tropical super pack extra as well. This included dessert wraps, granola, mint, plantain, coconut, pineapple, vanilla beans, mango and another dragon fruit.


I had never seen dragon fruit before. They are a bright pink.


So far, portions of one have made it into two of my smoothies.



Dr. Mercola's site had an update on it just last week, so I had some idea of what to expect. You eat the seedy part inside. I like it. 

Amazon has the plants for sale through 9GreenBox.com with a picture of them fruiting. They call it an orchid cactus.

Bountiful Baskets has greatly expanded the produce in our diet. As with the plantain and fresh coconuts, dragon fruit isn't something I would purchase from the grocery store. I truly enjoy the challenge of figuring out menus to use up all the produce we get. If you haven't tried it yet, check the site to see if it is available in your state. It is currently found in 23 states across the US.

Because the Pro is doing an Atkin's induction for the next couple of weeks, I get the fruit all to myself. Because there was so much, the friend within whom I share got quite a lot too. Most of the fruits are not conducive to freezing and I know her family will enjoy them.





No comments: