Monday, April 21, 2014

Memorial tribute to Aunt Helen and her family

My Aunt Helen recently passed away at the age of 100. She was a wonderful person and I feel privileged to have known her. In fact, both of her sisters were also wonderful, which I think is a tribute to their parents. When I was very young, I knew her mother and I really loved visiting her.

When children voluntarily spend time with grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc., it is very telling about the type of person those relatives are. Aunt Helen was one of those people it was a pleasure to be with. When I was in the third grade, we moved to a new house which was within a mile and a half of Aunt Helen and Uncle Phil. Dad and Phil, his brother, were not particularly close, but they enjoyed an amicable relationship. When my sister and I were about 7 and 9 (after we had moved nearby), Aunt Helen and Uncle Phil started taking us to church with them, at first occasionally, and then, for me, almost every week. I always enjoyed it.

Looking back, I think my aunt and uncle may have worried that we were getting no exposure to religion in our home. They attended services weekly and sang in the choir. Aunt Helen's sister, Aunt Ruth, was the organist and choir director. She was so kind as to allow me to join the choir when I was 10, after my first year in choir at school. She was so encouraging of me-she was probably my true mentor in music.

Aunt Helen sang soprano, as did I. Uncle Phil sang bass. We had choir practice on a weeknight-and they would pick me up and take me with them. The church choir sang every week. I learned so many classic church anthems in those days. Aunt Ruth taught me about breath control and phrasing. She had me sing my first ever solo in church, when I was 14, for Christmas. I truly loved her.

Aunt Helen also played the organ, but I don't recall her playing it in church. However, she had one in her home, and would play for me when I visited. I would try it but found it very intimidating. In spite of the fact that I play it in church sometimes, I still do. She said she found it relaxing. 

Aunt Helen's other sister, Aunt Vee (Vivian) lived with her and Uncle Phil. She was hard of hearing which was probably difficult for her as all three sisters were quite musical when they were young. I remember her as loving and caring. All three sisters made me feel special.

I suspect that one of the early motivations for attending church was that Aunt Helen and Uncle Phil often took us out for brunch after services. After the first few months though, I found something missing in my life was filled by attending church.  When I hit ninth grade, they even took me to the youth group meetings. They definitely helped fill a void in my life for which I will be ever grateful.

When I was in high school, I changed religious affiliations and joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In hindsight, I am sure that was a difficult choice for my aunt and uncle, and yet they never criticized or even questioned. They just loved me. I had researched a number of churches and found a deep and abiding testimony of Jesus Christ was satisfied in the doctrines of this church. I am grateful that I did not face family pressures for my choice, particularly from this lovely Aunt and Uncle who were so instrumental in fostering my spiritual side.

In later years, my uncle traveled around the states on his motorcycle. On one such trip, he visited me in Massachusetts. Aunt Helen joined him for that part of the trip which was very special to me. She came in a motor home, not on the bike. While there, she painted a lovely picture of lilies for my home.
Along with everything else she did, she was an artist. I always think of her when I see this picture which currently hangs in my bedroom. I recall a number of her pictures in her own home.

My uncle passed a while ago, but my aunt was never alone. Besides my cousin and her children who were regular visitors, she had some wonderful and loving caregivers that assisted her for many years. I think their warm relationship is an indication of both how great they were and how fabulous my aunt was. I am sorry to see her go but I have faith that she is now with my uncle again. I love you Aunt Helen. I said it, but probably not often enough.

No comments: