Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Happiness and purpose

There have been a number of times in my life when I felt happy over a period of weeks or days. I believe that these bouts of happy correspond with times I was following what I was born to do.

I believe that each of us was sent here to fulfill certain missions by a loving Heavenly Father. He wants us to be all that we can be. To become that person, there are certain things we each need to do. Those things can be thought of as our mission or purpose. I do not think any of us is limited to a single mission or purpose.

When my daughter was born, it was after much tribulation. I had trouble carrying a pregnancy to term. Miscarriage is emotionally difficult if you are longing for children. I cherished my entire pregnancy. I cherished the hormonal changes which caused wild emotional swings including a bout of tears at work. I cherished the morning sickness during the first trimester. I found a book on exercise in pregnancy and became very fit and very strong. Right up until delivery, my stomach muscles were so strong, I could visibly suck in my gut. That strength disappeared after delivery, but I used it by pushing only 4 times to expel her.

Knowing of my difficulty in carrying a baby, I cherished all the baby time, even when it was sleep deprived. I tried very hard not to think, "I can't wait until x happens." I just enjoyed each milestone as it came. It helped that I kept a daily journal for both me and for my daughter. There isn't much profound in it, but you can get a good idea of what our days were like.

I was happy being a new mom in spite of the lack of sleep, the crying baby, and trying to do the right things. I was happy because I was doing something to fulfill my mission.

When I have performed with the Springfield Symphony, Valley Light Opera (Amherst), or Arizona Arts Chorale (Scottsdale), I had moments of that same happiness that comes from fulfilling the purpose. I am not a gifted musician, but I am rewarded any time I have the opportunity to perform. That reward is both in the performance itself and in the feeling of rightness I get. It is a pleasure, not a fear.

I have had a variety of careers. I enjoyed all the different jobs I have held. I worked with some amazing people. I had some great bosses, some not so great, and everything in between. I had challenges and opportunities. I think I provided good value for the pay I received. While I enjoyed them all, the ones that allowed me to teach brought more of that sense of fulfillment than the others. When I can share what I know in way that allows others to be more productive in their jobs, I get that sense of rightness. I love to teach practical things and apparently, it is something I am supposed to do.

Right now, my outside the home job consists of helping the Pro at the golf course. I format his monthly newsletter, publish it in his blog, post items in Facebook, work in the pro shop, and create flyers and marketing material for him. The satisfaction in that is in helping him. It too brings that sense of rightness.

The things I am doing at home, along with for the Pro, are again giving me that sense of mission. I do not know what the future will bring, but this is what I am meant to be doing right now. The cleaning and organizing, planting, digitizing, writing, and helping him are my purpose right now. What is so nice is that when you are following that purpose, Heavenly Father (or the universe if you are not a religious believer) rewards you for doing what you are meant to do with peace and contentment. It is like I am taking happy pills. That does not mean that I am always happy, but I am very content, smile frequently, and feel wonderful.

There are many articles and much advice on finding your purpose. That purpose may change over time or it may not. Once you figure out what it is right now, you need to step on the path to fulfilling it to feel true peace and contentment. I am grateful to have the opportunity to move forward on my path. Happiness is wonderful.

No comments: