Monday, May 10, 2010

Spring ups and downs

I love watching the buds on trees, the greening of the grass, the early bulbs. Spring is simply glorious. Then comes the hay fever. I've lived in many parts of the US, and have had different degrees of reaction. This year, now in Prescott, has been up and down. As the wind has picked up though, my allergies have responded by exploding. And I hate allergy meds. Oh well, it is a small price to pay for so much beauty.

Normally, by this time, I would be working in my garden, with much in and much ready to go in. This year, my gardening is indoors. We are in temporary housing as we go through our relocation to Prescott. The good news is, the house we've selected has some wonderful space for gardening. The bad news is, we won't be in until sometime in June. I may be able to do some summer and fall crops. So for now, I have my rosemary, aloe, and a very old cherry tomato plant as well as my normal houseplants to care for.

Gardening is such a wonderful process. It takes time-to plant, nurture, and see the seeds sprout. Then more time until you can enjoy the harvest. For shrubs and trees, I generally plant very young plants which means it takes a few years until you get the bounty and enjoyment. There is a beautiful lilac starting to bloom in our chosen house. It is about 8 feet tall. The lilac in the house we've left is about 2 feet tall and will not bloom for a few more years. For me, gardening is a long range project. The yard is a project in process that takes many years to complete. It is an act of faith. It is an investment in the future.

If you cannot plant, at least get out and enjoy the gardens around you. A walk in a park, or through a neighborhood, can be very refreshing. Nature is a great stress reliever.

No comments: