Thursday, May 6, 2010

Back again and musing on growth

I started this blog when life was changing, then it got crazy and I ran out of time for blogging. I started a new, very demanding job that I loved. It has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. then life threw us a curve ball, and my good husband was enticed out of retirement back to a job he left 29 years ago. The opportunity was too good to miss, so I am now between jobs, we're searching for a new house, and we've moved to Prescott, Arizona.

There is a saying that if you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it. Do we learn from history? Do I? I know that when I follow my gut, intuition, or promptings of the Spirit, the end result is always better than if I do not. I recently read Blink,by Malcom Gladwell. This is about understanding our intuition and how to enhance it and really use it successfully. There is much food for thought there. We have become so focused on the rational, the scientific, and the logical, that we discount the intuitive and emotional perceptions. I'm not great at being in tune with my emotions, but the more I learn, the more I realize that they have great power to help us lead a more meaningful life.

I re-read lots of my novels. I do this because I enjoy the characters. I re-read some of the non-fiction, but in that case, it is because I expect my reactions to the insights to have changed as I have grown. What does it say about us if we do not grow and change? I do not want to be a stagnant pool. I regularly read Scriptures because the teachings apply to me differently as I grow. What I understood at twenty is different than later. I hope I have more depth and can see more application. Much of the fiction I read teaches me of the ability each of us has to be heroic. We can make difficult choices because they are right, but not easy, because of our honor and integrity (I like epic fantasy). Is it harder to save the world (think Lord of the Rings) or to take a stand that is unpopular politically? Is it harder to face a board of directors or a child that cannot be comforted?

I loved my job. It mattered. I love my husband. He matters more than the job. I have no regrets for choosing something important to him over the job I loved. My relationship with him is lasting and that with the job is very short-term. I am currently enjoying my leisure time. I have more time to read, to cook, to ponder. This is a great blessing. Whether or not I return to paid employment or continue to take short consulting opportunities, this latest change has provided an opportunity to re-assess and the time to ponder that assessment.

Life is a great test. I will continue to study my options and work toward growth. I hope to simplify my life with these current changes by more focus on my family. I also hope to be able to continue these musings here in this blog.

No comments: