Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Education Revolution

I feel strongly about learning, about maximizing our potential and developing our talents. Over the years, I have earned money from almost everything I had lessons in as a child. That was never the expectation, but it happened. My parents' expectation was that I would keep busy, stay out of trouble, and have some fun.

I love learning and continue to learn new things all the time. As my job opportunities have changed, I have developed new skills to meet the changing situation. I have worked in information technology for many years, in part because it is constantly changing. I have mastered hundreds of software programs. Because of my passion for learning, I have also consistently provided an opportunity for others to learn. For some of my jobs, it was a formal portion of the job for me to teach. For others, it was an information addition. I love learning the ins and outs of technology and then figuring out how best to apply that to business or personal situations to maximize effectiveness.

At TED, Sir Ken Robinson talks about the need for a revolution in education. I strongly support his argument. Reasoning like this was why I wanted to homeschool my daughter. I felt I could help her develop her talents and satisfy her curiosity and at the same time help her learn. She is doing something similar with her children.

Many people feel that learning ends with a diploma. I feel that a diploma is simply a recognition that you've learned how to learn. I continue to study languages, learn new software programs, new recipes to cook, new skills, new piano pieces, etc. all the time. I believe we are here to learn and love to share what I've learned with others.

Support the education revolution, learn something new and share it.

No comments: