Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rituals

I went to tea with some dear friends yesterday. We had a wonderful time visiting with each other and enjoying the delecacies that were part of the activity. I had a delicious vanilla tea, some wonderful finger sandwiches, tarts, scones, and conversation. Although Steph enjoys tea and the associated amenities frequently, I am usually limited to enjoying only the herbal tea. Our lives are so busy doing, the we seldom take the time to just be in the moment and enjoy, as we did during our tea. We met at the Bellagio, in Las Vegas and we were so focused on the moment that we missed the excitement as Bill Clinton and entourage went right past us. (He was there for the caucuses today in Nevada). It's funny we missed him, but wonderful how focused we were on each other.

All this got me thinking about rituals. We get so focused on the busy that rituals can help us focus on the now. Afternoon tea is a great way to relax, unwind, and get a second wind for the rest of the day. If you live in cold country, it is a nice way to warm up. I don't drink regular teas, but there are lots of wonderful herbal teas to enjoy. However, I don't usually take the time to have a lovely display, biscuits or scones or a treat to enjoy with it. I think now that this is a shame and would enhance the moment. I plan to add that to my afternoon as often as possible now, making sure that my treat is at least a little healthier than those I enjoyed yesterday. Such indulgence would not be good for my arteries or waistline on a regular basis.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I LOVE this post! And you know, I often have fruit or one single cookie with my tea. And I also love to drink fresh mint tea - very healthy! I hope you blog about it from time to time!

It was so good to see you!