Saturday, January 19, 2008

New Victorian Mysteries

I've been traveling and needed to get something to read while I've been out. I tried out 2 books by Tasha Alexander, And Only to Deceive followed by A Poisoned Season. I love the protagonist, a Victorian woman who doesn't fit easily within the structures of society. She manages to solve quite complicated mysteries in both books. You get a good feel for the restrictions Victorian society imposed on women and how difficult it was to get beyond those. These are a different side of the same picture that Anne Perry presents in her Thomas Pitt mysteries. I love those too.

I re-read most of my books as I enjoy the company of the characters in those books. Emily, the protagonist of these two books, is a woman I would love to know. These are probably good reads for a book club as there are lots of things to consider about the place of women, the changing roles of women, making choices, how critical society can be, etc in these books. I will probably read them again in the next month and wish the 3rd was coming out before next summer. If you have teenage daughters, these would be great to read with them. Tweens would probably be good too, if they are at the point of really taking a look a their world. It would be good for young men, but they are really geared toward a female sensibility. Men would benefit by thinking about how they still might be treating women in their lives as the women in these books are treated by society.

No comments: