Monday, November 26, 2007

End of November activities

Many of my next posts will be about activities and thoughts on Christmas as this is important to me at this time of year. This week is a great time to plan your Christmas activities. I often get out the collection of advent calendars to prepare for December. I also put away the fall decorations and start bringing out the Christmas and winter ones.

Create your own advent calendar. In each square for the 24 days leading up to Christmas, put in an activity for your family. This itself is a great family activity. Things you might want to include in your calendar: carol singing with friends at a nursing home; secret Santa gift/food delivery; volunteering at a food bank; baking cookies; cookie exchange with friends; sorting through old toys and clothes, then donating them; watching your favorite Christmas movies together; lights and decorations outside the house; lights and decorations inside the house; getting a tree; viewing Christmas lights and decorations together; Christmas party; Christmas services at church; addressing Christmas cards.

With such a calendar, you can more easily see which days might be hectic and have low key meals on those days. In addition, you can fit everything in a little better when you know when to expect it. If your kids have special activities at school, parties or concerts, these can be the family activities as well. Share the load with other families and friends which decreases the burden on you and builds your network of friends and love.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Shanna! I love you blog. And this made me think that when I was in school we went to a nursing home to sing Christmas Carols and that was the best time of my life. I need to do that again. I am with a Red Hats group..I need to encourage them to do this...if not :) I will start my own Red Hat Chapter :).....I will really miss you at work :(