Monday, June 23, 2014

Don't let time run out

The Pro and I spent Saturday afternoon with his sons. We don't get together with them very often, but always have a wonderful time. We had lunch and spent some time visiting.

My cousin and I are planning a family reunion for next June. Our last major one was five years ago, although we had a slightly smaller one last year to celebrate her mother's 99th birthday.

 
I am attending a funeral service in a little while. My friend's sister, who was her best friend, died after a long illness. At least they lived in the same town and could visit together often. I love my own sisters, but they both live in California while I am in Arizona. That means I do not see them as often as I might like. The same is true of my daughter and step-daughter. We are all separated by distance.

I missed Dad on Father's Day since he's been gone for a while. At least we still have Mom.

I have been doing a lot of family history detective work and located the families of the Pro's grandmothers.  

Through Facebook, I am connected to friends from long ago as well as family and more recent friends. I love seeing what is going on in their lives.

What all this has brought to mind for me is the need for us to take advantage of the time we have. Many of us get so busy with our lives that we assume those who are important will always be there. We don't think about how it might be that they are there only in memory.

I am grateful I have the time and technology to digitize a lot of our memories. It is almost like spending time with those who are gone, as well as renewing acquaintance with those still here. I am grateful for social media, like Facebook, which allows us to stay connected even when separated by distance.

Do not let time run out-stay connected with your family and friends while you still can.

 

No comments: