Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Depression

I'm posting a little late this week. This is due to the recent death of Robin Williams. His demons finally overcame him and we lost him.

Depression is a serious illness. It is not simply sadness. It is far more. And you can be depressed and feel things that you know do not reflect reality. You cannot just "get over it" and decide not to be depressed any more than you can get over a broken leg. You might learn to manage it or cope, but it will always be a possibility.

I had a Bishop at church who didn't really believe that before he became a Bishop. What he saw taught him that it is a true illness and not a weakness. We had a long conversation about it once when I was going through an episode of depression myself. 

I have suffered with depression almost my entire life. I had a very nice childhood and was still frequently suicidal, even before I knew what that meant. Lucky for me, I never acted on those feelings. As I matured, I sought help at various times to deal with specific triggers that could cause a downward spiral. I was lucky in the different therapists I saw that they were able to help me learn to change my reactions and manage my responses to those things that were hardest for me to deal with.

Eventually, I found a med that would help me get back to normal within 10 days. I could then more appropriately deal with whatever was increasing the stress and magnifying my underlying depression. I am lucky that I do not need to remain on the med but can get it again should I need it.

Since the underlying depression is always present to some degree, I have had to find ways to lessen its impact and severity. I could remain on the drug, but I do not like the side effects. After much research, I found a combination of things that I need to do to mange. I try to exercise almost daily for at least 30 minutes. I change up my routines, but I notice if I slack off for more than about 3 days. Of course, this helps in other areas too as I get older, so that is an added bonus. I have found that taking Fish Oil capsules twice a day helps. When I took only one, the depression was closer to the surface. Since switching to two, it has lessened the severity of the underlying feeling. I also read uplifting things both upon first awakening and just before turning out the light at night. I will read scriptures as well as other targeted positive messages. These reminders help me look for the positive in all around me. I actively practice gratitude, especially for the small things. Prayer is a part of that process.

So, for me, a combination of therapy and specific actions to change my brain chemistry and thinking patterns has enabled me to live very happily in spite of my depression. I am lucky to have found something that works for me. People who criticize those that succumb to their demons as cowards simply do not understand the disease and also lack compassion. Mental illness is as real as a broken bone and much harder to treat. If you know someone who suffers from depression, being a supportive friend is the best gift you can give. You never know when it may make a huge difference.

No comments: