Monday, May 11, 2015

Lifelong Learning

Are you a life-long learner or did you decide you had learned all you needed to when you finished school? If you quit learning long ago, you might want to rethink that strategy. Learning does not need to take place in a classroom, but, for optimal brain health, you want to continue to learn an challenge your brain.

I went to college for a liberal arts education. Shortly after graduating, I realized that, although i had done well, there were still too many areas of knowledge where I knew too little to be truly educated. We purchased The Harvard Classics and The Great Books. I read most of the latter and about half of the former. This took about two years. As I finished this project, I felt much better educated about both Western thought and literature. Since I had studied primarily Asian history in college, I felt this helped round out my formal education.

The various careers I have pursued have all required classes and training. A career in information technology requires acquisition of new skills at least annually, if not more often. Changes in technology can be very challenging and can keep your brain sharp. Things change so quickly, that this requirement for updating knowledge is true in every field.

Other ways to continue to learn might be in skill areas such as new crafts, music, gardening, cooking, or other hobbies. Just like with our muscles, are brains are designed for challenge. If we don't challenge our capacities, we may find them diminishing. I regularly experiment with new recipes. I like to do puzzles which challenge my brain in different ways. O do a fair amount of studying on a regular basis. And my new hobby of writing definitely challenges both my language skills and my creativity.

Lifelong learning is not only important to us, it is also important the those of younger generations around us. School may not be the most important place to teach children how to learn; that may be the home. If parents model learning, children may incorporate its importance in their own lives. Mastering a new skill is as important when one if 50 or 80 as it was when one was 10. I continue to practice foreign language skills so as not to completely lose the competence I have gained. I am no longer fluent, but I can still get by in them. At different times, I actually study them again so as to try to improve.

Lifelong learning and challenges lead to a joyful life. Seize every opportunity to expand your horizons. You won't regret it.

 

No comments: