Monday, September 8, 2014

Summer rains continue

We live in the high desert where rain is somewhat rare. We expect it during monsoon season and during the winter. Most of the time, that means rain in July, and some snow and/or rain in January and maybe February. This year has been different.

Monsoon season started about as expected on July 4. Most years, it ends by the end of July and people talk about how things have changed, that it used to rain into August. Well, this year reverted back to the old days.

We had rain all of July and August, usually a few days of sun, then a few days of thunderstorms. As a result, we used the pool about half the amount we used it the previous year. We also used less air conditioning. I haven't been able to use my clothesline more than five or six times all summer.

We have desert landscaping in much of the yard. That means crushed rock as a ground cover. We have had so much rain, I know have grass instead. This started the spring as only rock.
 The garden beds have completely filled the space.  All three are full like this, but this is the most dramatic. Those are mesclun mix lettuce plants going to seed. Note all the grass between the beds where it used to be only crushed rock.
 
 
 The roses have all gone crazy, apparently thinking it is spring again.

 In the more remote corners, we now have lots of wildflowers. These areas were all just crushed rock before July. I have been unable to keep up with cutting back the weeds.

The little water channel is actually clear and full and running during every storm. After I cleaned it this spring, it has stayed clean due to the force of the running water.

There are those that bemoan all the rain. It has definitely had an impact on outdoor activities, including our own. The Pro has less opportunity to teach as people don't play as much golf in the rain.

However, I love it. I love listening to it hit the roof. I love watching through the windows. As long as I can stay home, it is wonderful.

Today, Phoenix has had record rainfall. My rain gauge shows we had about an inch of rain over night. Phoenix had freeways closed due to flooding during rush hour this morning. It was all that the news was reporting for a while.

We have had drought conditions for many years. One year of heavier rain will not change that. However, I have definitely enjoyed it. I am also grateful that I only have to get out in the rain occasionally, instead of every day. That way it hasn't really been much of a nuisance to me. The current rains are due to moisture from hurricane Norbert in the Pacific. We are lucky we aren't having the mudslides portions of California have had.









 

No comments: